Mushroom & Sage Turkey Soup
Do need a way to get rid of all the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving?
Or maybe you want to pick up a roasted chicken and make a more creative meal than just chicken. This is the recipe for you! Scrumptious turkey or roasted chicken, rice, mushrooms and sage come together in this very creamy, savory winter soup.
- 3 Tablespoons Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Wild Mushroom & Sage Infused Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 15 - 20 large fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp plain flour or gluten-free flour
- 4 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 3 1/2oz brown rice
- 15 - 18 large mushrooms, sliced
- 7 oz cooked turkey or roasted chicken, diced
- 7 fl oz double cream
- 1 Tablespoon Grind Spice Co House Blend Salt
- Sprigs of fresh sage, to garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Throw the onion, celery and sage in 3 tablespoons of Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, until the onion is softened, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
2. Slowly add about one quarter of the stock and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to mix in the flour. Pour in the remaining stock, stirring to combine completely, and bring just to the boil.
3. Stir in the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, partially covered, for about 30 minutes until the rice is just tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, cook the the mushrooms in the remaining Mushroom & Sage Olive Oil and stir in House Blend Salt. Cook for about 8 minutes, until they are golden brown, stirring occasionally at first, then more often after they start to color. Add the mushrooms to the soup mix.
5. Add the turkey to the soup and stir in the cream. Continue simmering for about 10 minutes, until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning and add a little more House Blend Salt, if necessary. Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with sage and serve with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4 - 5.