- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour or King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour to make this gluten-free
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs, gluten free if desired
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup of any ultra premium high-polyphenol Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus more for frying. such as Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Picual Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Hojiblanca Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Flavosa Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Picholine Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Slice the cauliflower in half straight through, leaving the stem portion of each half intact. Carefully slice the two hemispheres, through the stem portion into 1/2" thick steaks. It won't be perfect, some might fall apart, don't worry about it.
Whisk together 1/3 cup of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place the cauliflower steaks and marinade into a large shallow pan or large gallon size zip lock bag. Coat the cauliflower well and marinate for at least 1/2 hour.
Whisk the eggs in a pie tin, or similar large flat, shallow dish.
Whisk together the flour with a teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste.
In a heavy bottom pan, or dutch oven, heat 2" of super fresh, UP Certified, High Polyphenol (300 ppm+) extra virgin olive oil to 350 F.
First dredge the marinated cauliflower in the seasoned flour.
Dip each steak into the whisked eggs,
Then dip into the bread crumbs.
Fry the coated steaks on each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to drain on a rack or paper towels before serving.
Adjust seasoning by adding more salt if desired or pepper.
For presentation, consider serving the steaks atop a bed of baby arugula or salad with additional lemon olive oil vinaigrette on the side and/or lemon wedges.