Roasted Red Pepper & Balsamic Onion Jam
Chunky, spreadable, and concentrated, this savory, pungent jam accentuates whatever food it's served with. Use this jam to elevate your ho-hum chicken breast, pork chop, baguette and eggs to new levels!
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced (about one cup, packed)
- 1 jar Delizia roasted red peppers drained, and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Black Mission Fig Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons any Ultra Premium Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Extra Virgin Olive Oil such as Picual Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Hojiblanca Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Favolosa Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Picholine Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon (+/- to taste) Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Cayenne Chili Pepper Fused Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt - to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed saute pan (cast iron if available) heat 2 tablespoons of Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the onion and season with salt. Slowly cook down the onions gently until the slowly become caramelized. This will take about 20 minutes with constant stirring. The goal here is to coax out the sweet, complex flavor of golden caramelized onions without actually burning them, as charring them will create bitterness.
During the last five minutes of cooking, add the chopped peppers, Black Mission Fig dark balsamic vinegar, ground black pepper, and thyme - increase heat to medium and continue stirring and cooking to reduce the balsamic. Add the still hot mixture to the bowl of a food processor or blender along with one tablespoon (if desired) of Cayenne Chili Pepper fused olive oil, and one tablespoons of Ultra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Process to desired consistency - I like a smooth paste. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Spoon in to a jar and allow to cool. Serve with vegetable crudites, crackers, pork, chicken, sausages, as a replacement for Sriracha or ketchup, with fries, over eggs, with roasted potatoes - essentially, with everything.
Can be stored in a sealed jar and chilled for up to a week.
Makes about 1 cup of savory onion-pepper jam