Savory Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 1 large white onion
- 1 package white button mushrooms (10 oz)
- 1 package baby portobello mushrooms (10 oz)
- 2 Tablespoons Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Mushroom & Sage Infused Olive Oil plus some extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- ½ Tablespoon liquid coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you are ok with non-vegan)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Wash and slice the mushrooms and onion. In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and heat over medium. Once heated, add the diced onions and allow to sweat about 5-7 minutes.
Move the onions to the sides of the saucepan and add the mushrooms, allowing to cook for another 5 minutes.
Stir the onions and mushrooms together, add the thyme and continue to cook over medium heat for an additional 10 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, salt and liquid aminos to the pan. Pour out the broth into a liquid measuring cup, add the cornstarch to it and stir. Once the cornstarch is mixed in add to the mushrooms. Add in the milk and stir to combine.
Once combined, allow to cook for at least an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 15 minutes, taste and add in the salt and garlic powder to taste.
Before serving, remove the bay leaf from the soup. Serve in bowls and drizzle with a bit of additional oil before enjoying.