Roasted Carrot Green Chili Soup
- 6 to 8 large carrots (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Baklouti Green Chili Pepper Fused Olive Oil + extra for drizzling
- 6 cups of your favorite vegetable stock
- 1 piece ginger, an inch long, peeled
- 1 sprig thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Wash, peel and cut the carrots into 1/2-inch rounds. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the carrots with 2 tablespoons of the Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Green Chili Oil and sprinkle generously with salt. Set an oven rack 6 to 8 inches from the heat source and turn on the broiler. Broil the carrots until they brown and soften, turning them over with a spatula every 5 minutes or so; this should take 15 to 20 minutes.
2. While the carrots are roasting, bring the veggie stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, add the ginger and spring of thyme (no need to chop) and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
3. Chop onion and garlic and add remaining 2 tablespoons of Green Chili Olive Oil to a medium stock pot and heat. Once oil is heated add onion to the pot and brown over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove carrots from the oven and add to the stock pot along with the garlic.
4. Remove the ginger and thyme from the stock and add the stock to the pot with the onions, garlic and carrots. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the carrots are soft enough to puree.
5. Use an immersion or a standard blender to puree the mixture until smooth. If the soup seems too thick, add more stock or water and reheat gently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. To serve, garnish with chopped fresh thyme and drizzle with a bit more Green Chili Olive Oil.