Sirloin and Pan Sauce
- 1-1.5 lb sirloinsteak
- Kosher saltand pepper
- 1 TablespoonRockyMountain Olive Oil Madagascar Black Peppercorn Infused Olive Oil
- 1 small shallot
- 2 mediumgarlic cloves
- ¼ cup (1/2stick) cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup water
- 2 springs ofthyme
- 2 TablespoonsDijon mustard
- 1 teaspoonWorcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon RockyMountain Olive Oil Serrano Honey Specialty Vinegar
- Let the sirloin sit out at room temperature for 15-30 mins.Pat dry with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper on both sides.Press the salt and pepper into meat so it adheres.
- Heat a medium dry skillet (preferably cast iron), and pour inthe tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Using tongs, lay the steak in the skillet and cook until theunderside is deeply browned a crust has formed, about 5 mins.
- Turn the steak and cook the reverse side until it is equallybrowned and steak is medium rare, another 5 mins.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and transfer the steak to acutting board to rest.
- Let the skillet cool for about 5 minutes. While it cools peeland finely chop the shallot and garlic. Cut your butter into tablespoon sizedpieces.
- Using paper towels, blot around the skillet to soak upblacked oil, but leave the bits stuck in the pan behind.
- Place the skillet over med-low heat and add in the shallot,garlic, thyme and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir often with a whisk untilshallot is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water to the skillet and whisk to dissolve thestuck-on bits. Add in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegarand whisk until smooth.
- Keep heat on mediumlow and add in the remaining butter. Whisk sauce constantly until the butter isdissolved and sauce is smooth and thick. About 1 min.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and season with additional saltand pepper to taste.
- Slice the sirloin anddrizzle the pan sauce on top before serving.
Shop the story