Can you have creamy, savory, comforting carbonara without the meat? Yes!
- 10 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup RockyMountain Olive Oil Milanese Gremolata Infused Olive Oil (or another of our Italian flavored olive oils like Tuscan Herb Infused Olive Oil, Garlic Infused Olive Oil, Madagascar Black Peppercorn)
- 1 tablespoon veganWorcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt, to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup packed grated pecorino romano
- 1/3 cup packed grated parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Wash and slice the mushrooms and grate (or finely mince) the garlic. In a medium bowl, and the mushrooms, olive oil, Worcestershire and garlic and toss to coat. Season with salt to taste and toss again to ensure the mushrooms are evenly coated.
Spread out the mushroom slices into a single layer on the lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until crispy, about 45-60 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until just before al dente (2ish minutes before suggested time on the package directions). Reserve pasta water before draining spaghetti.
While spaghetti is cooking, in a medium bowl whisk together eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in cheeses and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, add 1/4 cup reserved pasta water and bring to boil. Add spaghetti and cook, tossing constantly, until the pasta is al dente and water is reduced by half, about 1-2 minutes.
Whisk 1/4 cup pasta water into egg mixture and slowly pour into dutch oven, stirring constantly, until a glossy sauce is formed. Season with salt, as needed. Thin sauce with remaining pasta water, as needed, one tablespoon at a time, until sauce is consistency of heavy cream.
Once the pasta is coated and the sauce is glossy and the right thickness, stir in mushroom bacon.
Serve with freshly cracked black pepper and grated cheese.