Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
- 2 15- ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or broth of choice
- 1 tablespoon Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Chipotle Fused Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper or more for extra heat
- Salt to taste
- 1 15- ounce can organic pure pumpkin puree, not pie mix
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Espresso Balsamic Vinegar
- Optional garnishes: grated low fat Jack or Cheddar cheese crumbled queso fresco, diced fresh tomato, sliced green onions or chives, crushed tortilla chips, low fat sour cream, diced avocado, and chopped cilantro.
1. Puree beans and tomatoes with half the vegetable broth in a large blender (may need to do it in multiple batches).
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 3-5 mins until soft. Add in garlic and cook one more minute.
3. Add spices to the saucepan, stir, and cook for a minute or two until you can small them.
4. Stir in the black bean-tomato puree, pumpkin, and the rest of the broth. Simmer uncovered until blended and thickened—about 15-20 mins. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and a bit more olive oil for extra heat (if desired) and serve.
5. Top with garnishes of choice—as noted above. For an extra smooth soup, use the blender to mix one more time.