Roasted Butternut Squash Stacks with Pesto
Ingredients & Directions for the Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, and cut in to 3"-4" "sticks" no more than 1" thick
- 2 tablespoons of intense Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Chiquitita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
Preheat the broiler or oven to 500 F. and adjust the rack to the the highest position in the oven. Combine the oil and vinegar in a bowl large enough to hold the butternut squash. Whisk to combine the oil and vinegar thoroughly. Toss the butternut squash with the mixture and arrange the squash in a single layer on a shallow, lined baking sheet. Liberally season the squash with salt and pepper.
Roast the squash for 10 minutes per side, flipping half way through, until the edges turn golden brown.
Ingredients & Directions for the Pumpkin Seed Pesto:
- 1/4 cup tightly packed fresh sage leaves
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup shelled, toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Milanese Gremolata Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup ricotta salata, feta, or grated Pecorino
- sea salt and pepper to taste
In the bowl of a food processor or jar of a blender, add the sage leaves, 1/3 cup of toasted pumpkin seeds, olive oil, and cheese. Process until the paste is fine in consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange the butternut squash on a decorative platter. Drizzle the pesto all over the butternut squash, followed by the reserved toasted pumpkin seeds, and the reserved cheese. Serve warm.