Ricotta Basil Olive Oil Spread
This easy spread has an aioli-like consistency but uses no eggs. Instead, fresh part skim ricotta stands in lending a creamy-dreamy texture and richness.
I chose to use Arbequina olive oil for this application. With it's grassy-herbaceousness, apple peel center, and healthy peppery finish, it served to cut the richness of the ricotta and provide an interesting counterbalance.
A clove of garlic, squeeze of lemon, and sprig of basil later, the spread came together magnificently. I toasted some bread and liberally slathered it with the spread. However, it would would be equally delicious as a mayonnaise replacement, a dip for crudites, or spread for fresh grilled salmon.
- 1 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup any Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Extra Virgin Olive Oil such as
- Rocky Mountain Olive Oil Picual Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Hojiblanca Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Flavosa Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Picholine Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5" sprig of fresh basil, washed and dried
- 1 clove fresh garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
Place the ingredients inside the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until creamy and smooth in consistency. Adjust seasoning and store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.